...a place to keep discussion going, share information, and build a community of young women on the move.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Great things happening for girls

We just heard aboutt this and wanted to pass it on.

Sister 2 Sister: International Women's Day celebrated with the women of tomorrow

Education, diversity, and celebration were in the air at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) on International Women’s Day. The TDSB, in partnership with OISE and several community-based service providers, organized a one-of-a-kind event for grade 8 girls from Regent Park neighborhoods. Sister 2 Sister 2011 focused on self-empowerment and community building amongst a group of highly diverse young women. The event provided an opportunity for the future women of Toronto to share ideas and to support each other on the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day.
Joelle Therriault, Sister 2 Sister co-chair, highlights the importance of bringing the young women together."Their connection to the world around them, the things they do can automatically affect other young women, other communities, and other parts of the world."
The event included two prominent keynote speakers. Zanana Akande is the first black woman in Canada elected to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario and to serve as a cabinet minister. Jessica Yee is a community activist and YWCA Young Woman of Distinction.  In addition, there were workshops and a lunchtime women-in-the-workforce mentoring session. 

Students shared their aspirations and views on some of the challenges facing young women today. One young woman--a grade 9 student who attended the event last year and was a volunteer this year--shared her views on the impact of Sister 2 Sister with a poem:
 I am…
 I am greatness beyond measure;
 I am exactly who I want to be.
 And if I say I wanna be better…
 It’s because I think I need to improve.
 I will not allow myself to be defined by others.
 Only I am allowed to decide who I essentially am.
 I will not be influenced, forced into or negotiated into being something I am not.
 I am greatness beyond measure.
 Why?
 Because I already know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment